Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Our First House (Dining Room)

Welcome back...my next project was the dining room. This one took a little longer than anticipated but I have to say I love the result! I have more wall space in the dining room than in the kitchen so I was able to hang more stuff! As you may know, I LOVE old architectural pieces which you will find through out our dining room. I had fun working with an all neutral color pallet and even though everything is neutral, by layering different objects and shades it makes for a really strong impact.

The before...



The after...


 
I painted and changed out the light fixture which warmed up the room. For the paint I did a two tone effect on the walls, the chair rail made a nice divider, I painted the top portion a solid camel color and the bottom portion I did a faux finish using the rag rolling technique. I hung an old kitchen cabinet on the wall and used it to display all of our "pretty" dishes.



I love, love, love architectural pieces...I found an awesome old pair of windows and some beautiful corbels that came from a Victorian mansion. These made a great wall display! For the shelf, I took a piece of heavy duty plywood and painted it to look similar to the corbels. I wanted it to look aged so I distressed it a little. It was wood and paint I already had so it was a free project. Yay!

 
 
 
Centerpiece and displays...
 
 

 
 
I used a collection of objects to make my table centerpiece...some vintage pieces like the box and the shoe form...and some large candles and fresh flowers that I put in an old mason jar. I already had these objects in my house, I just played with different items and arrangements before I chose this collaboration.

 



Another view of these amazing corbels!


Thanks for checking out my dining room. I will be working on the living room for the next blog so check back soon!

To see my kitchen/laundry room makeover click here

6 comments:

  1. I love it! You did a great job! Everything looks beautiful, and I just love the two tone paint colors. And I would love to have that 3 tier serving piece...It's gorgeous! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sassy Southern Shack! I'm pretty happy with it and it's always nice to hear compliments :)

      Delete
  2. Your shelf made with corbels is amazing! Spotted this on Pinterest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get your corbels from and for how much? I've searched high and low for corbels like this and it seems that everything is very traditional or classic. I want these! They're perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sabel,
      I actually found the corbels on ebay! The person I bought them from had removed them from an old Victorian home that was being torn down. There are a lot of corbels on ebay and they range in price. I just looked daily for new listings and got them for a steal! It's been a few years now but I think I paid $85 for the pair. I shop regularly for architectural stuff and if you can find a pair of vintage corbels similar to these for less than $150 you're getting a good deal. Good luck hunting!

      Delete
  4. I must've skimmed past it earlier but I see now you got them from a mansion.

    ReplyDelete